Walcot and Co

Austrian Majolica Charger

150.00
Austrian Majolica Charger, Gebruder Schutz
Austrian Majolica Charger, Gebruder Schutz
IMG_0460.jpg
IMG_0458.jpg
IMG_0461.jpg
IMG_0463.jpg
IMG_0465.jpg
IMG_0468.jpg
IMG_0466.jpg
IMG_0455.jpg

Austrian Majolica Charger

150.00

A fine antique Austrian Majolica Charger, Gebruder Schutz , 19th Century. Majolica charger, moulded with a central classical figural scene, border of winged putti, painted in tones of blue and brown, impressed makers mark to the base. No signs of damage or restoration.

Dimensions: H 3cm, D31cm

More Info

Add To Cart

A fine antique Austrian Majolica Charger, Gebruder Schutz , 19th Century. Majolica charger, moulded with a central classical figural scene, border of winged putti, painted in tones of blue and brown, impressed makers mark to the base. No signs of damage or restoration.

Dimensions: H 3cm, D31cm

Petr Eugen Selb and Carl Gustav Lenk founded the original pottery workshop in 1849 in in Olomučany (then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, now the Czech Republic). This was purchased by Karl Schütz, the owner of the local Olomučany. paper mill in 1852. He expanded and transformed the workshop into a factory, and handed it over to his sons Arnold and Ludwig Richard in 1859. They incorporated it as "Majolika- und Steingutfabrik Gebrüder Schütz".

During the early 1870s, the brothers established a second factory, "Majolika-, Steingut- und Schamottefabrik, Gebrüder Schütz", in Liboje near Cilli (now Slovenia). This was an area rich in the required resources like clay and feldspar,  which were essential to their production. There best products were produced in the 1880s and 1890s. After WW1, the brothers decided to retire, and their factories were closed in 1917.